As major engines for economic growth, cities can drive the circular economy agenda forward to unlock economic, environmental, and social benefits. Alongside Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and climate objectives, the transition to a circular economy will support city leaders as they deliver against their priorities, which include housing, mobility, and economic development.
The Circular Economy in Cities is a suite of resources for urban policymakers and change-makers.
Circular Economy in Cities focuses on opportunities in three key urban systems – buildings, mobility, and products – and looks at how city governments can work to enable a circular economy transition. The project addresses questions such as:
- Vision: What will the implementation of circular economy principles in cities look like?
- Factsheets: What benefits can a circular economy transition in key urban systems bring to cities?
- Policy levers: What can urban policymakers do to accelerate this transition?
- Case studies: What examples are there of urban policymakers already putting this into action?
- Other networks & resources: What are other organisations doing on the topic of circular economy and cities?
Author: Ellen Macarthur Foundation
Publication date: March 2019